The iAnime Network
Hello! Welcome to The iAnime Network! If you are not our member, please do register, you are welcome here. By registering, you will no longer be bothered by ads.

What makes a game truly terrifying?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What makes a game truly terrifying?

Post by Otonashi-kun on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:51 am

I've been really wondering, but what makes a game truly terrifying?
My opinion is lightning effects, and just darkness give off this affect. But what else Question

Come visit us at AnimeSwift.com for updated content.

Otonashi-kun
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://animeswift.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What makes a game truly terrifying?

Post by Sakai on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:58 am

Otonashi-kun wrote:I've been really wondering, but what makes a game truly terrifying?
My opinion is lightning effects, and just darkness give off this affect. But what else Question
...ZOMBIESSSSSS!!!

Sakai
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnimeGuy on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Sakai wrote:
Otonashi-kun wrote:I've been really wondering, but what makes a game truly terrifying?
...ZOMBIESSSSSS!!!
Yeahhhh... hmmm how about Fear of 'what' could happen? When playing Penumbra ...thats what always got me D:

AnimeGuy
Member - Rank 2
Member - Rank 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Azu-nyan on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 pm

AnimeGuy wrote:
Sakai wrote:
...ZOMBIESSSSSS!!!
Yeahhhh... hmmm how about Fear of 'what' could happen? When playing Penumbra ...thats what always got me D:
Or when you know something is gonna happen. And your just sitting there waiting for it to. D:

Azu-nyan
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnimeGuy on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 am

Azu-nyan wrote:
AnimeGuy wrote:
Sakai wrote:
...ZOMBIESSSSSS!!!
Or when you know something is gonna happen. And your just sitting there waiting for it to. D:
I saw a video about this today. They said that its scarier when you use things that the player doesn't understand fully to scare them. or things that they "do" understand but its twisted to confuse you.

AnimeGuy
Member - Rank 2
Member - Rank 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dream Fighter on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 pm

I scared myself silly playing the Grudge game, ( I forget it's proper name) on my Wii.
I think it's because I usually read a lot about a game before I try it, and I hadn't done this with the Grudge game.
I was absolutely terrified about what was going to happen XD

Dream Fighter
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile http://www.elhagrido.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Otonashi-kun on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Dream Fighter wrote:I scared myself silly playing the Grudge game, ( I forget it's proper name) on my Wii.
I think it's because I usually read a lot about a game before I try it, and I hadn't done this with the Grudge game.
I was absolutely terrified about what was going to happen XD
That game is so freaky. The grudge is one of the scariest things out there :S

Otonashi-kun
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 am

AnimeGuy wrote:
Sakai wrote:
...ZOMBIESSSSSS!!!
The company that made Penumbra also made another game... what was it called.. i think its called Amnesia. It's less than a year old if i remember correctly, and its truly terrifying.

Kyo
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purrman on Mon May 09, 2011 3:09 pm

For me it have to be when you know there is something there,Its pitch dark, Only source of light is a flashlight, You've seen it, It can see you, you have to hide, and you cannot fight it. THATS terrifying. A good example is Amesia.

Purrman
Member - Rank 2
Member - Rank 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otonashi-kun on Mon May 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Purrman wrote:For me it have to be when you know there is something there,Its pitch dark, Only source of light is a flashlight, You've seen it, It can see you, you have to hide, and you cannot fight it. THATS terrifying. A good example is Amesia.
I've been playing Amnesia a bit and its ...very frightening. I get to scared to play sometimes.

Otonashi-kun
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purrman on Mon May 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Otonashi-kun wrote:
Purrman wrote:For me it have to be when you know there is something there,Its pitch dark, Only source of light is a flashlight, You've seen it, It can see you, you have to hide, and you cannot fight it. THATS terrifying. A good example is Amesia.
I've been playing Amnesia a bit and its ...very frightening. I get to scared to play sometimes.

Haha trust me, Same have happend here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/viktore8?feature=mhum#p/u/3/hFfv7gYPUvM

There is one of the moment. I just stoped playing. Even if i was live steaming and Captureing it for my Lets play xD

Purrman
Member - Rank 2
Member - Rank 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otonashi-kun on Mon May 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Purrman wrote:
Otonashi-kun wrote:

There is one of the moment. I just stoped playing. Even if i was live steaming and Captureing it for my Lets play xD
Yes that is truly the scariest moment in gaming history lol i actually got really scared at the part where your in some tunnel thing and the monster is walking around. O.O

Otonashi-kun
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purrman on Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Otonashi-kun wrote:
Purrman wrote:
Otonashi-kun wrote:

Yes that is truly the scariest moment in gaming history lol i actually got really scared at the part where your in some tunnel thing and the monster is walking around. O.O

Ohh my.. The first time i saw one of those things... I whould have littulary shitted my pants if it wasent to my friends. I was so scared for the game so i had to be in a Skype con. I remeber when i grabbed the ''Oil'' and i head the wierd noise. Like a burp. So i turned around and he stood there! like 10 meters away from me with his back turned againgst me (Thank god)

You mean when you'r in the water? He can hear you but not see you but you can see his footsteps? Yeah that was freaky. And since i died 2 times before compleiting it. And somehow when you die the monster stays where you died. So the second time i died i tried to walk really slow in the water to se if he whould react. And i got really suprised when nothing happend, so thought it was save and all but when i reached my death spot he begun to make those noises and ran streight to me. God i was freked out xD

Purrman
Member - Rank 2
Member - Rank 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otonashi-kun on Tue May 10, 2011 2:18 am

Purrman wrote:
Otonashi-kun wrote:
Purrman wrote:
Otonashi-kun wrote:

Ohh my.. The first time i saw one of those things... I whould have littulary shitted my pants if it wasent to my friends. I was so scared for the game so i had to be in a Skype con. I remeber when i grabbed the ''Oil'' and i head the wierd noise. Like a burp. So i turned around and he stood there! like 10 meters away from me with his back turned againgst me (Thank god)

You mean when you'r in the water? He can hear you but not see you but you can see his footsteps? Yeah that was freaky. And since i died 2 times before compleiting it. And somehow when you die the monster stays where you died. So the second time i died i tried to walk really slow in the water to se if he whould react. And i got really suprised when nothing happend, so thought it was save and all but when i reached my death spot he begun to make those noises and ran streight to me. God i was freked out xD
Wait... he was invisible? I thought he was just a fish or something... LOL wow.. I'm slow sometimes. I hadn't died at all at that part. It had me scared though, especially when you have to jump onto all those boxes and throw the body parts in the water as a distraction... holy crap.

Otonashi-kun
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Purrman on Tue May 10, 2011 7:24 am

Otonashi-kun wrote:
Purrman wrote:
Otonashi-kun wrote:
Purrman wrote:
Otonashi-kun wrote:

Wait... he was invisible? I thought he was just a fish or something... LOL wow.. I'm slow sometimes. I hadn't died at all at that part. It had me scared though, especially when you have to jump onto all those boxes and throw the body parts in the water as a distraction... holy crap.

Haha yeah! I was like noo! Dont eat me! Eat this. And i got suprised when he accualy got distracted by it.

Purrman
Member - Rank 2
Member - Rank 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnal4u on Wed May 11, 2011 2:15 am

I played amnesia for a little while but couldn't get myself to continue playing! it scared the hell outta me! No I'm not brave enough lol

nocturnal4u
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purrman on Wed May 11, 2011 8:36 am

nocturnal4u wrote:I played amnesia for a little while but couldn't get myself to continue playing! it scared the hell outta me! No I'm not brave enough lol

Haha trust me, You'r not alone Very Happy

Purrman
Member - Rank 2
Member - Rank 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neville on Mon May 23, 2011 9:26 pm

I saw the vid, i haven't played amnesia.
I didn't get scared at the vid, (except with the scream).
I have a fear of 'screams' i think... and dark places... and closed one places too... and some high points...
Very Happy

Neville
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile http://jakerpg.blog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nm2 on Mon May 23, 2011 11:56 pm

...Heights scare me more than most things....

Other than Amnesia, I think Alice: Madness Returns is pretty creepy looking in its own way

nm2
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Purrman on Tue May 24, 2011 8:43 pm

nm2 wrote:...Heights scare me more than most things....

Other than Amnesia, I think Alice: Madness Returns is pretty creepy looking in its own way

The scary thing about that game is that its twisted.

Makes beautiful things into pure evil. But the game looks good. Thinking that i might be dowloading it Razz

Purrman
Member - Rank 2
Member - Rank 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otonashi-kun on Tue May 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Purrman wrote:
nm2 wrote:...Heights scare me more than most things....

The scary thing about that game is that its twisted.

Makes beautiful things into pure evil. But the game looks good. Thinking that i might be dowloading it Razz

Yes yes. Totally true but thats what makes it so epic lookin Very Happy I'm gonna get it when its released!~

Otonashi-kun
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AnimeGuy on Fri May 27, 2011 5:52 am

Ah that game looks really interesting

AnimeGuy
Member - Rank 2
Member - Rank 2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neville on Fri May 27, 2011 11:00 pm

I got scared at "Killing Floor" (Solo play)
And Minecraft too. Hate creepers...

Neville
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile http://jakerpg.blog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Otonashi-kun on Sat May 28, 2011 2:52 am

Neville wrote:I got scared at "Killing Floor" (Solo play)
And Minecraft too. Hate creepers...
Killing Floor is pretty cool. I like playing Combat Arms (Zombie Mode) more though, much more fun.

Yes! Despite the bad graphics on Minecraft, creepers.... scare me so much. lol

Otonashi-kun
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lone fox on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:49 am

i think a scary game comes from both the way that the game "teaches" you how to play (introducing certain abilities without the player having to experiment or find out how to play form another player) and the suspense applied by the fear of the unknown. depending on how the game lets you learn your various abilities or lack there of, you gain a sense of helplessness and fear while playing it.

lone fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top