The iAnime Network
Hello! Welcome to The iAnime Network! If you are not our member, please do register, you are welcome here. By registering, you will no longer be bothered by ads.

Ren'Py - Make your own Visual Novel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ren'Py - Make your own Visual Novel

Post by Neville on Mon May 23, 2011 11:36 pm

What are Visual Novels?
Spoiler:
Visual Novels are the general name for a genre of games which these days come primarily from Asia, and combine static backgrounds with reams of text, and generally require very little interaction from the player. The main point of these games does not lie in the graphics; it lies in the story that is being told, hence the name, visual novels. The player interaction is usually limited to making certain choices at desicion points throughout the game that affect the route of the story and the overall ending.

The appeal of these games lies in their simplicity and their ability to tell a good story. Since the majority of these games deal with a male protaganist attempting to seduce one (or more) female characters, they are immensely popular with Asia's younger male population. It is also a reason for the fact that this genre of games are not popular in the western world. Games over here are generally judged more on graphics and gameplay than by the story they are telling, whereas for a visual novel the story is key to its success.

A large section of these games fall into the 'ecchi' category of games; that is, games that contain sex-related images and/or storlines. This is another reason why these games are so popular in Asia, as in a game with multiple girls, it is usually required to play through the game several times making different choices to get all the scenes involving these girls. This gives the games a small amount of replayability, although once all of the scenes (known as CG's) the only reason you would replay the games is to check if you've missed any of the story. Unless, that is, it is being played by someone who is learning Japanese. In this case, visual novels can provide an excellent resource in aiding people learning Japanese, as the more times you play a route, the more you can pick up and learn as you go.

All in all, visual novels can be a good distraction from the more action-packed, high adrenaline games that are around today. You can usually get by with minimum knowledge of Japanese, but there are some games which don't contain voiceovers for the text, and these games are really to be avoided unless you can either read Japanese or there is a translation patch out for them. If you like fast, complicated action games then visual novels aren't for you. But if you like a story, and beautiful, if static, art, then at the very least get a demo of one and play it. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Examples for Visual Novels: Planetarian (Kinetic Novel) ,Utawarerumono (visual novel with strategy game parts), Shuffle! On The Stage ('normal' visual novel)
What is Ren'Py?
Ren'Py is a visual novel engine (software) that helps you use words, images, and sounds to tell stories with the computer. These can be both visual novels and life simulation games. The easy to learn script language allows you to efficiently write large visual novels, while its Python scripting is enough for complex simulation games.
Ren'Py is open source and free for commercial use. It supports Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Android.
http://www.renpy.org/

That's it, with the programming language Python (so easy to learn), you can make a visual novel.
Some people may consider boring, but i liked it, you can choose the path...
~Hope someone like it and bring us some VNs. Very Happy

Neville
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile http://jakerpg.blog.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ren'Py - Make your own Visual Novel

Post by nm2 on Fri May 27, 2011 5:49 am

Oh nice! I didn't know there was something like this for Android! :O could be useful!

nm2
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otonashi-kun on Fri May 27, 2011 5:51 am

If I ever had a lot of free time I would look at this. lol I already manage 2 website, a Minecraft Server, and College. ehhh thats enough for now Smile

Come visit us at AnimeSwift.com for updated content.

Otonashi-kun
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://animeswift.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Neville on Fri May 27, 2011 10:51 pm

YEah, Minecraft rocks! (But my laptop got problem with the OpenGL)
I'm playing with the Ren'Py, it's so easy to learn (Python), i'm giving a chance for it... But my secret project wouldn't fit in a Visual Novel (maybe), but now i got (i think so) a partner to work in school.
So happy, but he wants a MMO... Enough of OFF TOPIC. Very Happy

Neville
Member - Rank 1
Member - Rank 1

View user profile http://jakerpg.blog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Otonashi-kun on Sat May 28, 2011 2:51 am

Neville wrote:YEah, Minecraft rocks! (But my laptop got problem with the OpenGL)
I'm playing with the Ren'Py, it's so easy to learn (Python), i'm giving a chance for it... But my secret project wouldn't fit in a Visual Novel (maybe), but now i got (i think so) a partner to work in school.
So happy, but he wants a MMO... Enough of OFF TOPIC. Very Happy
Lol secret project? hmmm tell me more Wink lol

Come visit us at AnimeSwift.com for updated content.

Otonashi-kun
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://animeswift.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top